top of page
Frequently Asked Questions

Here are some frequently asked questions. If these answers don't help, please contact us and we will be happy to answer any questions you have. ​​

Who do I call if my power goes out?

If your power is out call 310-WIRE. If there is ever a life threatening emergency call 9-1-1​

What is an REA?

REA stands for Rural Electric Association. 71 years ago in the Mayerthorpe area a group of forward thinking farmers cut the bush and trees, put poles in the ground and strung wire bringing electricity to rural Alberta. Calgary Power at the time did not want to bother with the country- so this is how the REA’s were born. One person hooked on to the next, and the lines kept growing. Today Mayerthorpe REA is financially stable, maintaining strong assets. The REA has a board of directors, and you as a member have a vote on how your cooperative is managed at your yearly AGM. The REA works “At COST” to their members unlike a profit orientated company. Our members are like a shareholder and we all benefit equally. Who do I call for power when I build a new house?Mayerthorpe REA services part of The County of Lac Ste. Anne and part of Woodlands County. Please give us a call and we will let you know if you are in our service area.


Does Mayerthorpe REA build the new service?​

No. Fortis Alberta is contracted by Mayerthorpe REA as our service provider. Fortis works for us through a contract arrangement. Fortis does the new quote and Mayerthorpe meets Fortis on site to make sure the new contract is built with the members best interests in mind. Contact Us


What paperwork is there when I have a new service?

After our contractor does the quote you will receive a 4-5 page document. On one of these pages Mayerthorpe REA has to sign and approve the quote. You then send this form with your payment for service. There is a contract to sign with the REA to become a member along with a one-time membership fee of $300.00, if you are purchasing an existing property the fee is $50.00 .​


Where can I get a service Contract?

You can stop by the office or download it here. Service Contract​


What do I do if I buy a house that is already a Mayerthorpe REA service?

Call or email Mayerthorpe REA and we will get the correct information to you. You will need your legal land description, the site ID from the yellow invoice, previous owner’s name, copy of land title (or real estate copy if you do not have title yet). As above for a new service you will have to sign an REA membership and pay the one-time fee.


What do I do if I sell my home or farm?

Call our office at 780-786-4545 and let us know

Who do I buy my power or electricity from?

Mayerthorpe REA is a retailer and we offer a competitive rate to our members. We would love to have you as our customer. Of course you have your own choice- see the link to UCA Helps.


What is vegetation Management?

Safety code dictates where trees can be around power lines. In your contract you have agreed not to plant trees under a power line. Very simply the trees have to be trimmed, cut, removed or mulched under power lines. Mayerthorpe REA has a policy for how this will be done.


When will you check my poles and trees?

We contract Fortis to do this service and they follow a 7 year circuit to cover our area.


How are Mayerthorpe Board members elected?

Any member in good standing that does not have affiliations with a competitor may put their name forward for the board. Nominations will be accepted in advance of the AGM pursuant to Supplemental Bylaw #5. Each year the nomination period will open by February 15th with nomination packages available to pick up at the Mayerthorpe office during business hours or via an email request. Nominations close on March 5th at which time the committee will look over and confirm candidate eligibility. The potential candidate will be contacted by a member of the nomination committee after March 5th to confirm any details required. The nominated candidates will be voted on at the AGM - held approximately the middle to end of April each calendar year. 

If you have further questions please contact the office or a current board member. ​​

Some Helpful Links & Numbers:

Utilities Consumer Advocate​

Alberta Federation of Rural Electrification Associations​​

Before you dig, call Alberta One-Call at 1-800-242-3447 to locate buried underground wiring.


Complaints about contraventions of the Code of Conduct Regulation or this compliance plan may be made to the Alberta Utilities Commission or the Market Surveillance Administrator. The Alberta Utilities Commission can be reached by contacting 1-780-427-4903 or The Market Surveillance Administration can be reached by contacting 1-403-705-3181 or The Alberta Utilities Commission and the Market Surveillance are independent of Mayerthorpe Rural Electrification Association Ltd. and the regulated rate suppliers and affiliated providers.

bottom of page